I am a software engineer by profession. My focus is to enable end-users understand the story behind their data.
I graduated from University of Maryland (UMD), College Park with a Masters in Computer Science. My research focused on Data Science and Visual Analytics, I was affiliated with the Human-Computer Interaction Lab in UMD. I have been working in industry for developing end user tools for data analysis.
- I am super excited to present my latest work on using ML for SOC at IEEE VizSec 2018.
- Blog post published on FireEye Threat Research blog: https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2018/06/build-machine-learning-models-for-the-soc.html . Here Matt Berninger and I break down machine learning strategies and production capabilities we’ve built to augment & automate alert triage. Our goal is to save the world’s SOC & IR teams’ time using data science.
- Gave a talk at Grace Hopper Conference 2017. `When a Picture is Worth a Thousand Network-packets and System-logs'.
- My team presentation on my machine learning project is accepted for FireEye Cyber Summit 2017, Las Vegas. `Reverse Engineering the Analyst: Training Predictive Models for the SOC'.
- Program committee: VizSec 2017, 2018, 2019. Grace Hopper Conference 2016, 2017, 2019.
- I gave a talk at Data Intelligence Conference, 2017, DC.
- I presented at Modev Code Writers' Workshop, 2017, DC. `Maintaining UI Standard in an Agile Team'
- NASA Space App Hackathon Winner, DMV region 2016.
- Capital Area Women in Computing: Invited speaker. 2015. `Dataviz in Cyber Security'.
Senior Software Engineer: FireEye Inc, June 2015 to present.
Leading the machine learning project for triaging cyber threats and classifying malwares. Developed UI component to interpret the prediction model using data visualization. Developed end to end predictive analytics framework to automate decisions for our analysts using various machine learning toolkits and both supervised and unsupervised classification methods. Introduced contextual visual analytics in our tool so analysts can easily understand the context of an attack. Developed a pcap visualization with matching rules, timeline visualization component for event logs from exploit detection events, and a real time netflow visualization of a compromised host. Improved the visual query builder UI widget to enable the analysts to input different types of queries.
HCI Research Scientist: MicroStrategy Inc, February 2014 to May 2015.
Software Engineer: Vizrt. June 2007 to July 2009.
Research Intern: IBM TJ Watson Research Center: designed and developed visual query system to mine anomalous pattern in user behavior. Mentor: Lawrence Bergman. June-August 2012.
Research Intern: Intelligent Systems Lab, Xerox PARC: designed and developed web-toolkit for lifecycle decision support system in designing spacecraft. Mentor: Rong Zhou. June-August 2011.
Research Assistant: Human-Computer Interaction Lab, University of Maryland. During grad study.
MS in Computer Science, University of Maryland. Advisor: Ben Shneiderman. Scholarly Paper: Nation of Neighbors: analyzing online community over time using network and distribution data visualization techniques.
BS in Computer Science and Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. Thesis:Thesis: ‘Effect of diversity in neural network ensemble’. Graduated as one of the top 10 students in a class of 120.
A novel way of exploring distribution data, provides an overview of distribution data, and facilitates the discovery of interesting clusters, patterns, outliers and relationships between distribution-columns. I integrated this with ManyNets, a visual analytic tool for network analysis with tabular interface. Visualizes up to several thousand network-overviews, allows network comparison, which I am a co-researcher/developer.
[Paper: Int'l Journal of HCI]
[Video],[VAST Mini Challenge AWARD]
Nation of Neighbors
I analyzed evolution and dynamics of online community safety groups with network visualization approach.
[Paper: IEEE SPM], [Talk]
My poster "The Dynamics of Web-Based Community Safety Groups: Lessons Learned from the Nation of Neighbors" won the ACM Student Research Competition (SRC) at the 2012 Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC) of Women in Computing.
Wrong Patient Error
Community Health Map
Web: React, Marionette, jQuery, Backbone, NodeJS, CoffeScript, Mocha, D3, HTML/CSS, Bootstrap.
Machine Learning: Scikit-learn, pandas, NLTK, TensorFlow.
Language/Frameowrk/etc.: Java, J2EE, JSP, Struts, GWT, Objective C, C/C++, OpenGL, Python, Django, Flask, MySQL, psql, PhP, bookshelf, Github.
IDE: Webstorm, Eclipse, Netbeans.
Analysis: NodeXL, Tableau, Spotfire, MicroStrategy.
Prototyping: Balsamic, Omnigraffle.
HCI: Information Visualization.
AI/Machine Learning: Computational Linguistics-I and II, Artificial Intelligence Planning, Machine Learning.
Computational Science: Computational Genomics, Computational Geometry, Social Computing.
System and Design: P2P,Grid and Cloud Computing,Design of Information Centric Systems, Design for Information Visualization.
Selected Publications (more...)
- Awalin, Sopan, Matthew Berninger, Murali Kiran Mulakaluri, Raj Katakam. Building a Machine Learning Model for the SOC, by the Input from the SOC, and Analyzing it for the SOC. IEEE VIZSEC 2018
- Awalin Sopan, Catherine Plaisant, Seth Powsner, Ben Shneiderman: Reducing Wrong Patient Selection Errors: Exploring the Design Space of User Interface Techniques. AMIA 2014
- Awalin Sopan, Manuel Freire, Meirav Taieb-Maimon, Catherine Plaisant, Jennifer Golbeck, Ben Shneiderman: Exploring Data Distributions: Visual Design and Evaluation. Int. J. Hum. Comput. Interaction: 77-95 (2013)
- Awalin Sopan, P. J. Rey, Ben Shneiderman: The Dynamics of Web-Based Community Safety Groups: Lessons Learned from the Nation of Neighbors [Social Sciences]. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 30(6): 157-162 (2013)
- Awalin Sopan, Angela Song-Ie Noh, Sohit Karol, Paul Rosenfeld, Ginnah Lee, Ben Shneiderman: Community Health Map: A geospatial and multivariate data visualization tool for public health datasets. Government Information Quarterly 29(2): 223-234 (2012)
- Awalin Sopan, P. J. Rey, Brian Butler, Ben Shneiderman: Monitoring Academic Conferences: Real-Time Visualization and Retrospective Analysis of Backchannel Conversations. Social Informatics 2012: 62-69
- Hossam Sharara, Awalin Sopan, Galileo Namata, Lise Getoor, Lisa Singh: G-PARE: A visual analytic tool for comparative analysis of uncertain graphs. IEEE VAST 2011: 61-70
- Awalin Sopan, Manuel Freire: Gene similarity uncovers mutation path VAST 2010 mini challenge 3 award: Innovative tool adaptation. IEEE VAST 2010: 287-288.